Wednesday, February 7, 2007

progress critique

I have refined my project quite a bit since last week. I have decided that my project will be a series based on how much i am learning about computer -based visual data, as well as a statement about what i feel is a very real danger in our society today. The strategies of Marketing.

I have decided to start with what i know. I had a lot of ideas for this one first piece. I had too many ideas. I wanted to use the Hollerith's Punch cards as the data. I wanted to use the different numbers that were punched out that mean what religion, what type of prisoner, how they "departed" all of this was categorized and cataloged by the Nazis with the help of IBM. However, I cannot find a lot of specific data on specific people. It is also difficult to convey the meaning to the audience through just a few words alone, much less visually. I would rather attempt it using specific data, if i can find it, and with vector graphics and a more technological form of visual data.

I found a website that has a list of Jews, its Schindler's List. at the top of the column of 5 digit #'s beside each name was the label "H No" which i can only assume must be the Hollerith number. so i have decided to use the punch card identification numbers as my data.

Schindler's List

I have also decided not to busy the piece with many different references to the numbers and the machines. I am going to copy, or rather get a print of, a Hollerith punch card. i found a web site that has the different models that IBM put out. I think this will serve quite nicely as my background.

The Hollerith Punch Cards

The way i have chosen to visually display this data is of my own design. I am creating these people as geometric, irregular shapes. The numbers will be represented using metrics. for Alexander Adler, H#: 69107, I have created a shape that has corresponding sides to his ID #. 6in. (or 3in.+ 3in.), 9in., 1in.(or 1in. circumference of a circle), 7 in.

No comments: